Welcome to the fabulous and sometimes insane life
of a working mother who is trying hard not to
let her whole existence be determined by her
cute little munchkins, yet continues to be drawn
in by the adorable and sometimes annoying tiny people!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

I Hate Wal-Mart

We are Publix shoppers for a variety of reasons. It is clean. They have great deals, and it is an enjoyable shopping experience due to the attentiveness of the Publix employees. The problem is that I live in a small town in South Georgia and the only Publix near us is 20 minutes away. This means that we can not frequent it as much as we would like. Therefore, there are times when we have to go to Wal-Mart.

This is where I found myself this morning when I should have been in church, but alas since my husband and I are STILL sick we played hooky. As I steered my squeaking buggy through the crowded, dirty, and tight aisles I composed a list of all of the reasons I hate Wal-Mart.

1. It is Dirty- Maybe not every Wal-Mart is, but ours is. There are crumbs on the floor and items out of place. As well as the fact that the aisle are constantly blocked with everything from empty shopping carts to flats of new inventory.

2. The Clientele- Truly, I am not a snob. I know you are going to think I am, but, honestly, I'm not. But come on! There are some scandalous people roaming around Wal-Mart. From the single men who goggle to the moms who are constantly yelling at their bare foot spawn who are running all over the store to the gang bangers hanging out in various areas of the parking lot, the people of Wal-Mart are an interesting bunch to say the least.

3. Coupons- They are so dadgum picky about coupons. You would think that the Walton family themselves were having to pay for the coupons out of their own extremely full pockets. There are some Wal-Marts that take competitor coupons, but our doesn't. In fact they are so fanatical about coupons that I have actually been told before that I could not use a printed coupon because it was not from a reputable site. Coupons.com is not a reputable site?????? Are you kidding me?

4. Moving Things- Our Wal-Mart moves things all of the time. One day the refrigerated pastas might be with the cheese and the next day in might be in the fresh food section. One day the coffee filters might be with the coffee and the next it will be with the coffee makers all the way across the store.

5. Not Carrying Things-Wal-Mart is famous for not having items they had the week before. I could sit here all day and list things that they carry one day and the next it has totally been wiped out off the shelves. The list ranges from cereal to butter to pasta to salad kits. When your Wal-Mart is the only place in the small town to shop, it is a big deal when they stop carrying things you have come to rely on. WTF!

6. Help?-You better hope if you can't find something be it due to them moving it or the fact that your particular Wal-Mart has decided not to carry it anymore that you find an informed consumer because they are the only help you are going to get. Other than the friendly man who greets you with "Welcome to Wal-Mart" at the top of his lungs or the cashier who may or may not speak to you at all that is all the help you are going to get when shopping at Wal-Mart. No one else knows anything about anything! There are no Target Team Members waiting to dazzle you with their expertise.

7. Bottle Necking-I don't know about your local Super Center but ours has tiny aisles. You can literally only get 2 carts down one aisle at the same time and that is only with some strategic maneuvering. And now they have taken to putting displays in the center of the aisles so that you can only get one cart through at a time and when you have carts coming from both ways you can sometimes get stuck on one aisle for what seems like an eternity but what is really only 3 to 5 minutes.

8. Buggies- It is inevitable that when I pick up my buggy at the front that I am going to have to use super human strength to get out of the buggy corral. Then I can guarantee you that something is going to be wrong with it. It might have a wobbly wheel, squeak, or have remnants of food from who ever previously used it (YUCK!)I mean is it so hard for this multi-billion dollar company to repair broken carts and keep them clean?

But no matter how much I hate Wal-Mart you will still see me there. I mean until we get a Publix (Ha!) in this town it is my only option. Plus, where else are you going to shop where you find a variety of things you have never thought of but can now not live without!

9 comments:

A.Bentley said...

Love it!

KBass said...

#1. Where are y'all going to church now?
#2. How do men "goggle" women in Wal-mart?
LOL, I feel the same way!

Ciao Mama's said...

I have only been to Wal Mart once and that is when I was visiting my MIL in FL. We are limited in space were I live big box stores are not big here{we have 0 room-city living} but once was enough for me. Crowded, dirty, it had a funny smell and I just did not like it. I will stick to Target...lol

Peaceful Wishing said...

I have my own reasons for hating Wal-Mart... I used to work at a WM and they mistreat their employees, which is probably why they act the way they do. (I'm not saying that it's a good reason, but believe me, I can relate). When I was pregnant with my daughter, I wanted to make a little extra money, so I decided WM had to be a decent place to work... Boy was I wrong. My manager tried to refuse my bathroom breaks, she tried to skip my lunches, I had this nasty, skeevy man stalking me, and NOTHING was done by management. WM employees are underpaid and mistreated, not to mention all the Mom and Pop Shops they run out of business. Needless to say, we no longer shop there.

I feel I must add, I now work as HR director for a family run document shredding business and life is great after WM. ;)

Stephanie of Gumdrop Pass said...

AGREED! I am a Target LOVER. I hate the few times that I do have to venture into Wal Mart.

Danielle said...

Following you back from Life With Two Boys.. Thanks for stopping by!

Kathy said...

I am a Target girl myself. I only went there once and it was so big I could not think. I did find the employees extremely helpful though. Very funny! Great to get a chance to catch up with your great blog!

championm2000 said...

We definitely have a love/hate relationship with our local Wal-Mart, too.

Walmart India said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.