Welcome to the fabulous and sometimes insane life
of a working mother who is trying hard not to
let her whole existence be determined by her
cute little munchkins, yet continues to be drawn
in by the adorable and sometimes annoying tiny people!

Monday, August 8, 2011

This is Serious

Well it is one hundred and fifty million degrees down here in south Georgia. I know it is hot everywhere but with our blasted humidity the air is so heavy that you literally feel like you are suffocating when you walk outside. Because it is so hot, it is hard to think about cooler weather but it is coming and it won't be too long.That means it will soon be jean weather, which is not good.

Why? You may ask. Well the reason is simple . . . I can't fit into any of my jeans. There! I said it. I have been enjoying the luxury of wearing flowing summer dresses for the last 6 months and soon that luxury will be ripped from my slightly chubby, water retaining fingers.


Don't get me wrong! I love jeans. I love how my bum looks in them (it is one of my best "ass"ets). I love the cute little tops I can wear with them. I love wearing boots over my skinny jeans. And I love, I love, I love the that wonderful feeling of exhilaration when I can zip up my "skinny" jeans (even if it does involve lying down, a pair of pliers, and some lunges).

The problem is that I quite literally can not get any of mine to come with in five inches of zipping. I know I just had a baby 3 months ago, and I would not trade that experience with the world. Nor would I change the fact that I ate everything in sight, because let's face it that is the only time in our lives where we are finally able to stop looking at the scale and enjoy food without any feeling of guilt. And I did not gain that much weight (35 pounds!). But the fact is that most of the weight is still there even with my initial 10-15 pound weight loss that came with breast feeding.

I know I could buy a bigger size and embrace my new curvier shape while enjoying food as I did in my pregnancy but I guess I am a little too vain for that. I want to be able to fit in my clothes for a self confidence booster as well as the fact that these are uncertain economic times and this girl cannot afford to go restock her closet. Therefore, I must work with what I got! And that is about 20 pounds of extra weight.

What to do? Well, it is quite simple. I have done all of this before. After my second child, I joined the YMCA's Team Lean and lost 30 pounds and 19% of my body fat in 10 weeks. I also won $650. The plan: I must count calories and exercise. Seriously it is as simple as that consume less calories and burn more of them. And when I say burn I mean I better be sweating in the first 5 minutes or it ain't doing enough.

The problem is three fold:


1. I love food.
2. I hate to exercise.
3. I have 3 kids, including one infant.

So I have made a decision! I am getting up every morning at 5:30 in the a.m. to start running. Anyone who knows me is now saying is she serious because they know how much I like to sleep. But I am doing this. There is no other time. I must exercise or this flab is never going to get off of my body and I will never fit in my jeans! And the only time I do not have 3 munchkins hanging all over me is early in the morning. If I do this and keep it up, then I know I will be able to eat what I want in moderation.

Whatever the case, the next 10 weeks is Liz Hill's own version of Team Lean (wish I had that monetary motivation). And I am recruiting all of you to help me as I start posting Weigh In Wednesdays which will be about my adventure in losing weight.

This is serious!! I must be able to fit into my jeans...that or go naked. And I can't afford to get arrested . . . as I said this are uncertain economic times!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ahh, I feel your pain - and I only have one child! I look at pictures before I had him and hate myself a little bit. I have managed to lose most of the weight, however, my muscle tone is severely suffering. I just feel...blobby. I did start running, which made me feel good and I was noticing some improvements, but then I got sick for a week, and since then, it's tough to get motivated again. I'd rather eat chips! lol.

I hope you get your motivation. I hope I find mine again! This IS serious! :)

Laura@Catharsis said...

Liz, there is so much going on here, I don't know where to begin. First, I am with you about the heat. I used to live in FL, so I know all about that humidity and feeling like you're living in a spa where old men go to sit with each other naked. Second of all, I was all, "Yeah, I can totally relate to carrying around all that baby weight, I'm right there with you, we must be secret sisters or something," and then you mentioned having had your baby 3 months ago and only gaining 35 pounds total. And then I hated you just a little bit. (Not anymore, don't worry.) I had my baby 10 months ago and gained 70 pounds (I'm 5'3" - EEK!) and still have 10 pounds to lose. Third of all, I hate exercise, too. It's the sweating and the turning all red and stuff. Last of all, I hope you keep up that running. I tried that exercising early business. I'm too lazy. I keep saying I'm going to join the health center by my work and start swimming in the mornings before teaching when school starts. But I'm a liar.

Liz said...

I am so glad y'all can relate. It is hard getting up but I do feel better the rest of the day. I hope I can keep it up 'cause I am pretty lazy myself. I have been known to sit on the couch for 6 episodes of America's Next Top Model before!

championm2000 said...

Not fitting into jeans is serious! Good thng I haven't tried mine on in a while (since it's like a bazillion degrees in NC right now).

But...

I do have to wear a swim suit on our vacation in Sept. and not fitting into said swimsuit calls for action.

Time to get moving...(insert groan, moan, kicking, and screaming)

The Nickel Family said...

i feel ya, liz! i expected my baby weight to melt off within 6wks or so like it did with my first baby but it ain't happenin! i guess i'm going to have to get my butt on a spin bike this time around! that should be easy and fun to coordinate, considering i have all the time in the world these days! /sarcasm off

good luck!