Welcome to the fabulous and sometimes insane life
of a working mother who is trying hard not to
let her whole existence be determined by her
cute little munchkins, yet continues to be drawn
in by the adorable and sometimes annoying tiny people!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I Have a Favorite


Kelly Ripa & Mark Consuelos' Soap Opera ChopsI once saw an interview on the Rachael Ray show that really hit home with me. Not only was it extremely entertaining because it was with one of my favorite celebrities but it was also so very TRUE. 
She was interviewing Kelly Rippa and Marc Consuelos. She was talking to them about jobs, marriages, food, and of course their 3 beautiful children. They bantered about disagreements and annoying quirks and cooking disasters. It was too funny!


Then Rachael really got into it when she asked them if they had a favorite kid. At this point, I stopped all of my ADHDness and really tuned in. It was a question all parents have thought of at some point in time, but it is never something we same out loud except for "I love you all the same!"

Kelly laughed and said, "You know we've never really talked about it but I know we do. At any given time, one of them is your favorite. At this point in time, there is no doubt we like one better than the others."

"You may say 'I love all my kids the same' but you know in the event of emergency, there's one kid you'd reach for first," Kelly tells Ray.
Mark then said, "Yeah, there is definitely one I would rather be around. The truth is...he is just nicer to us. The other 2 are at that point where they are smart aleck  and don't ever want to do what we tell them. In fact they know it!"

Kelly interjects, "Yeah they know it! If they ever want something, they know to send him in to ask because we are less likely to say no to him."

Rachael asked, "Him? Who is it?"

Kelly replies, "I don't think we have ever said it out loud. But it is definitely..." Then both of them together declared, "Joaquin!"

You could hear the collective gasps of judgmental people all around the world. Judgmental and dishonest. Every parent knows that you have a favorite. Now for me, it is not the same favorite all the time. In fact on any given day, my favorite might change twenty times.

In the morning, my favorite usually rotates between my oldest and youngest child. My oldest is my favorite at that point in time because she can get herself ready to go completely by herself and always wakes up quite chipper. She comes into my bathroom fully dressed with her hair brushed and gathers me into a bear hug. My youngest is my favorite because there is nothing cuter than walking into the nursery to find her grinning at you from behind the bars of the cribs. Then you pick her up and she lays her head on your chest in her version of a hug. She is so giddy and loving.

However later in the day, my middle child will become my favorite. She will dance and sing and entertain us like we are on Broadway. She will crack us up with her antics and drama. She will then grab each of us by the face with one hand on each of our cheeks and not allow us to move until she plants a precious kiss on our lips.

So I would have to agree with Kelly and Mark, I do have a favorite. At any given point in time, I have a favorite. It changes from minute to minute. But I will admit, I do have a favorite. It is munchkin #1. Well now its # 3. *smooch* #2 just took the lead!

No comments: